Programs We Support
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world
~ Nelson Mandela
There are a vast number of programs and projects that are in need of funding and rightly deserve support. However it's impractical for an organization such as Turlock Education Foundation to be able to fill every need within the district. Therefore we've come up with a few principals for our funding focus.
- Our donations to the school district should supplement and not supplant the obligations the state and district have toward providing our children. Therefore we do not fund items such as textbooks, salaries, or facilities maintenance.
- Our donations should support our mission of enhancing and enriching the educational experience of TUSD students. It is our belief that activities that go beyond the core curriculum helps engage students and makes them more successful students.
- Our donations should support the mission of Turlock Unified School District. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is independent of Turlock Unified School District. However, the purpose of our Foundation is to support the district and we work closely in their efforts to ensure all students graduate as self-motivated, responsible citizens equipped to compete successfully in an ever-changing global society.
- Our donations should fund projects that do not have other means of funding. Turlock is filled with many great parent organizations including PTA's, band boosters, athletic boosters, and more. Many programs within the district already have an outstanding community support infrastructure and we do not intend to compete with these great organizations. Therefore we've worked closely with the district faculty, staff and administration to identify areas of need that do not currently have established community support organizations.
- Our donations should be equitably applied across the district. We are the only community organization that takes a global view of the District and works hard to support every child at TUSD.
With those ideas in mind, we've identified the following three areas that we will be focusing on to develop and fund:
We provide opportunities inside the classroom through a grant program that is available to every classroom and every certificated staff member in the district. Almost $12,000 worth of classroom grants were distributed in the 2013-14 school year and our goal is to grow this to an annual $25,000 program. What better way to distribute funds then directly to the classroom?
The most costly elements of most field trips is bussing. Therefore we are currently developing a program that will initially provide funds to cover transportation to the Turlock Carnegie Arts Center for any classroom desiring to participate in the educational opportunities provide by the center. We plan to expand this to the Gallo Art Center in Modesto and the soon to be built Turlock Educational Farm.
The case for a Tuba is close to $500...just for the case! We've got outstanding band boosters within TUSD that work hard to fund transportation costs for various performances, uniforms, etc. However there is a great need to establish an ongoing, district wide, consistent musical instrument repair and replacement program. Our goal is to raise $30,000 per year for this program.
After reviewing these funding priorities it is natural to wonder if we would consider funding, or accepting donations, for items that fall outside of these priorities. The answer is yes, we will consider all donations and encourage dynamic interactions and engaging ideas on how we can best support education in Turlock. We will review these priorities annually to ensure they are effective at meeting our mission and we may add or change priorities as we move forward. Regarding donations, we will do our best to work with donors who might have specific goals in mind; if we can't help you meet your specific initiatives with a donation we will do our best to get you in touch with folks who can.